The Den Hartog Stork

Meeting Baby Den Hartog.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Plan (as of this moment)

On Friday, we leave ABQ and fly to Chicago (3 hours) then Frankfurt (8 hours). Wanting to look and smell and think my finest (or at least not as badly as possible) when I meet the babies, we will overnight in Frankfurt to recover and start changing time zones. On Sunday, we fly another 6 hours to Almaty, Kazakhstan. We arrive at midnight and do something until the flight to Karaganda leaves at 7:55 a.m.

Karaganda time is about 12 hours ahead of Santa Fe (Mountain) time. So while you sleep next Sunday night, I will be meeting the babies (as if this plan will go on any schedule.) It's possible that when you wake on Monday, we will have updated the blog with the day's report. Or that we have just gone to the apartment and passed out/freaked out. The very idea of "selecting" a child is preposterous.

On the up side, any choice will be the right one. This is the time to take your hands off the wheel and let destiny and fate and faith take over. Fate is sometimes confusing, but never wrong.

Most programs, some clerk somewhere takes a piece of paper of the baby paper stack and a piece of paper off the prospective parent paper stack and voila, Family! And that method seems to work too. So there is not much to sweat.

But this IS a dang lot like having the best Christmas present ever underneath your fingers and not being able to open it yet. What is in there? WHO ARE YOU [sing]?!!!

So by the time you awake on Tuesday, here in America, there might just be a name and a birth date and -- oh if the world were to spin just right - a photo on the blog.

Or not.

The bonding-period-clock starts ticking then. By law, I have to see the baby for 21 days or so before I can go to court and swear to the judge that I intend to raise this child exactly as if it were my own biological child, and that, in addition, I intend to raise it safely and lovingly and healthily. Bio parents aren't necessarily safe, loving and healthy, how babies need adoptive parents in the first place.

I should go work/pack/prepare something now. But now you know as much as I can crystal-ball for the logistics of the next week. Your crystal-ball results may vary.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Din Sinclair said…

    Hi,
    Carolyn Sinclair here. We got back about a month ago from our second trip. We worked with ROTIA too. Check out our blog: www.sinclairstudios/adopt

    I'm so excited for you! I know exactly what you're going through. Enjoy it - it's the most exciting/crazy thing you'll ever do!

    I also wrote up a ton of Kaz tips that I would love to send you. Contact me at: carolyn@sinclairstudios.com and I'll email them to you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home