The Den Hartog Stork

Meeting Baby Den Hartog.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Night before the launch

Whirlwind of a week. Airplane tickets, doctor's interviews, fees, financials, fedexes, clothes, laundry, cat care, cat worry, transport to the airport, transport to the site where we pick up the transport to the airport, mowing the weeds (it _rained_, the nerve), organize organize organize. Put everything into a pile then onto a list. Move everything from the first pile into other piles. Add some more stuff. Remove some more stuff. Wonder what stuff you actually should be taking.

Wonder what exactly does 20kg weigh. The final leg of our trip is on Air Astana, between Almaty and Karaganda and the checked baggage weight limit is 20kg per passenger. Hoping for a loophole, we checked on the limits for carry on. 8kg. Obviously someone saw the opportunity before.

Mitch ditched the travel iron and one of the computers he needed for his work. The primary one remains. It is in his checked luggage. I think he doesn't want to see it again, perhaps. He likes his work actually.

Thanks to everyone for the phone calls today. More phone calls in one day than in many months. It was great to hear from my mother, my Aunt Ann, my cousin Greg, my former coworker (and father for a fourth time, his 21-day old son!) Christos, Jacqui and my boss and my coworker.

Well my coworker was actually asking about work, as was my boss. That could be going more smoothly. Somehow I really did have to pack today instead of work. Sorry, Russ, about that crappy code I gave you. What do you mean, you want numbers to add up? Oh. I would love to do something about that.

It looks like travel restrictions are the same as two weeks ago for my last trip - just no liquids on the plane. I would like a bottle of water to tell the truth on a transatlantic flight, but it could be worse: folks on the Belgian flights are still bringing their cabin materials aboard in clear baggies.

Chris, and Don, and Larisa and Lola from Reaching Out have been scampering to put this trip (and adoption) together. Larisa, I will bring you those papers Chris told me to bring. Chris, I am almost positive I can remember those instructions for a little while longer. Though it might not be guaranteed soon.

OK thanks again to everyone who is wishing us well and who is helping us along our way. We bounce through a couple of airports and hotels before visiting the baby house on Monday and landing in our apartment in Karaganda on monday night. The internet could be waiting for us there to blog. I hope your blog visits are rewarded with something.

Best wishes, and signing off from the US
Bobi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home